Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Drivers License/Identification Cards

Transfer of Licenses from Other Jurisdictions into Delaware (18 Years of age or Older)

Drivers from Other States

If you move into Delaware from another State, you must apply for a Delaware driver's license within 60 days after becoming a resident. You must turn in your previously issued out-of-state driver's license or have a current certified copy of your driving record, provide proof of citizenship or legal presence such as a birth certificate or passport, proof of social security number, and two proofs of DE residency. If proper documentation is provided, you will be issued a federally compliant driver license.

Please refer to the Acceptable Identification Document List for more information. Applicants will be required to sign an application, surrender agreement form, and pass an eye screening Written and road exams may be given, but they are normally waived if your license is valid. Suspended, revoked, and restricted licenses cannot be transferred until the outstanding actions are cleared.

A motorcycle endorsement from another state is transferrable for an additional fee. Commercial endorsements Tanker (N), Double/Triples (T), and Passenger (P) are also transferrable. Special restrictions apply regarding the transfer of a Hazmat (H/X) endorsement, such a knowledge exam, verification of a favorable background investigation and proof/immigration documents. Special requirements also apply regarding the transfer of a School Bus (S) endorsement. Applicants wishing to transfer their School Bus (S) endorsement from another state must first contact the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) to initiate the transfer process prior to visiting the DMV. The Taxi/Limousine (Z) endorsements are non-transferable.

Drivers from Other Countries and U.S. territories.

Non-resident drivers over the age of 16 years who have a valid driver license issued by their home country or U.S. Territory may operate motor vehicles upon the highways of this State when their license is in their immediate possession.

Sixty days after the non-resident driver becomes a Delaware resident, he/she must apply for a Delaware driver license. Drivers from other countries may retain their foreign licenses. All drivers licensed in other countries and U.S. Territories must pass both the knowledge and road exams.

Exception: Delaware has a reciprocity agreement with Germany, Taiwan (Republic of China) and France thereby exempting these drivers from the knowledge and road exams for a Class D license only. Endorsements are not included in reciprocity agreements.

Sample of Forms: