Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles


Motor Vehicle Fees

DMV accepts the following forms of payment: Cash, Checks, and Money Orders, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and discover.
We also accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card for our on-line services.
Fees are as of January 3, 2017

Fee Calculator

Registration - Cars
Renewals (yearly)
Late Renewal
Temporary Tag
Temporary Permit
Courtesy Inspection
Vanity Plate (yearly)
Handicapped Placard
Environmental Specialty Plate (one-time)
Animal Welfare Specialty Plate (one-time)
Farmland Preservation Specialty Plate (one-time)
Registration - Farm Trucks (yearly)
5,000 pounds or less
Greater than 5,000
(*Price for each 1,000 pounds over 5,000)
Registration - Recreational Vehicles (yearly)
5,000 pounds or less
Greater than 5,000 pounds (*Price for each 1,000 pounds over 5,000) *
Registration - Trailers (yearly)
0-1,000 pounds
1,001 - 2,000 pounds
2,001 - 5,000 pounds
For each 1,000 pounds over 5,000 pounds
Registration - Commercial Vehicles over 5,000 Pounds (yearly)
5,000 pounds or less
For each 1,000 pounds over 5,000 pounds
License Plate with Sticker
License Plate without Sticker
Validation Sticker
Dealer License Plate
Registration Card
Sample License Plate
Environmental/Animal Welfare License Plate
Title with Lien
Title without Lien
Change Tag Fee
Corrected Title without Lien
Corrected Title with Lien
Vehicle Record
Certified Vehicle Affidavit
Retain Tag Fee
Switch Tag Fee (per tag & title)
Document Fee:
of purchase price or NADA book value, whichever is greater. The Document Fee for Mobile Homes is . Minimum document fee is .
Driver's License
Class D (8yr)
Renewal Class D (8yr)
Renewal Permanent Class D* (8yr)
*Effective August 1, 2007, no more new permanent driver licenses shall be issued.
CDL (8yr)
CDL with Hazmat (5yr)
*HazMat not eligible for 8 yrs.
CDL each Additional Endorsement
Non-CDL Class A/B (8yr)
Motorcycle Endorsement (8yr)
Taxi Endorsement
Late Renewal Fee
Duplicate License
Change of Address
Change of Name
Photo Identification Card
Duplicate Photo ID Card
Driver's License Record
Certified DL Affidavit
DL Suspension Reinstatement
DL Revocation Reinstatement
Uninsured Motorist
Penalty Fee for Uninsured Motorist (** $100.00 for the first 30 days, then $5.00 per day every day after) *
DL Suspension Reinstatement
Vehicle Registration Reinstatement
DMV will accept personal checks; however, if you present an uncollectible check, a penalty of is charged. If the original amount plus the penalty fee is not paid within 10 days, your driver's license will be suspended.
Driver's license fees also include the costs of learner's permits (motorcycle, class D &CDL) that precede the issuance of the licenses.


Delaware law allows a vehicle owner who trades in a Delaware-titled vehicle when purchasing another vehicle, to deduct the value of the trade-in vehicle from the purchase price of the new vehicle. Certain limitations apply to this credit. Refer to the Trade-In Credit Section of this website.


Delaware law allows out-of-state vehicle owners a credit on a sales tax, transfer tax or some similar levy paid to another state on the purchase of a vehicle within 90 days prior to registering the vehicle in Delaware. The vehicle must have been titled/registered in the other state within 90 days prior to registering the vehicle in Delaware. The 90-day rule is strictly enforced.

Delaware residents who purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer will not receive credit for any taxes paid. The majority of states exempt out-of-state buyers from their taxes but some states collect taxes on all vehicle sales. Residents need to be aware that they may be taxed twice on vehicles purchased from some states.


Military Members- Registration of a motor vehicle by a member of the military (active, reserve or national guard) and their dependent family members who are stationed, on either a temporary or permanent basis, within the State, whose vehicles are registered in their state of residence or at their previous duty assignment (to include an overseas assignment). Military member or their dependent family member must provide military orders to the Division of Motor Vehicles indicating a temporary or permanent change of duty station within 90 days of relocating to the State or within 90 days of vehicle purchase.