Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

General Information

Changing Your Name/Address

Name Change

Within 30 days after legally changing your name, you must personally go to an office of the Division of Motor Vehicles to change the name on your driver license. Prior to arriving at the Division, if you have not already done so, you should report to the Social Security office with identification and the official document(s) (e.g., court documents, divorce decree, marriage certificate, etc.) that caused your name to be legally changed to update their records. Please allow 72 hours after updating your information with the Social Security office before reporting to the Division to change your name on your driver license or identification card. This time will allow the Division's and the Social Security's databases to be updated and match. Please also bring to the Division your old driver license and all name change documents. The Division will issue you a new license for . If you have any questions regarding this process, please call 302-744-2506.

Please note, you must change your name with the Social Security Administration 48 - 72 hours prior to coming to the DMV.

Address Change

After changing your Delaware address, you have thirty (30) days to notify both the Vehicle Registration and Driver's License Sections of the Division of Motor Vehicles. Write to the Division of Motor Vehicles, Driver License Section, P.O. Box 698, Dover, Delaware 19903. Give us the number of your driver's license, your name as it appears on the license and your new address. We will change our records. To change your license document, you must come into any of our facilities and we will replace your license at no cost. (See the Vehicle Equipment, Titles, Registration and Insurance Section for changing the address on your vehicle registration.)