Skip to Content Skip to Navigation logo

Division of Motor Vehicles

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

General FAQ's

Q. What type of licenses does Delaware issue?

A: Class D Operator's License
This class of license includes passenger cars, station wagons, pickup trucks, utility vehicles, and most panel trucks. This type and class of license is valid for any single motor vehicle, and a trailer, with weights not greater than 26,000 pounds, designed to carry less than 16 passengers (including the driver) and not placarded for the purpose of transporting hazardous materials.

CDL Temporary Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)
After passing the knowledge tests and paying a fee, you may be issued a CDL learner's permit which will allow you to drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV), but only with another licensed CDL driver. You may only drive the class of vehicle specified on your learner's permit, and you may drive only with a CDL driver qualified in the same type CMV. This permit is valid for six (6) months. You may extend this learner's permit one time for another six (6) months, within a two-year period, for .

CDL Class A License
This license is required when the vehicle's combination registered, actual or gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds, and the vehicle is towing a vehicle with a registered, actual or GVWR over 10,000 pound

CDL Class B License
This license is required when the vehicle's registered, actual or rated weight (GVWR) is over 26,000 pounds, and it is not towing another vehicle over 10,000 pounds GVWR

CDL Class C License
This license is required for vehicles under 26,000 pounds when vehicles are designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver, or for vehicles required to be placarded for carrying hazardous materials (HAZMAT).

NON - CDL Class A License
Required for the same CMV vehicles as the CDL Class A license, but only when operating farm or firefighting vehicles under a CDL waiver.

NON - CDL Class B License
Required for the same CMV vehicles as the CDL Class B license, but only when operating farm or firefighting vehicles under a CDL waiver.

Q. What documents will I need to obtain a federally compliant driver license or identification card?

A: This guide will assist you in determining which documents you will need to collect and bring to the DMV to secure your identification when applying for a Delaware driver license, learner permit, commercial driver license (CDL) or ID card.

Q. What fees do you charge for your license and other services?

DMV Fee Guide

DMV will accept personal checks; however, if you present an uncollectible check, a penalty of is charged. If the original amount plus the penalty fee is not paid within 10 days, your driver's license will be suspended.

Driver's license fees also include the costs of learner's permits (motorcycle, class D &CDL) that precede the issuance of the licenses.

Delaware law allows a vehicle owner who trades in a Delaware-titled vehicle when purchasing another vehicle, to deduct the value of the trade-in vehicle from the purchase price of the new vehicle. Certain limitations apply to this credit. Refer to the Trade-In Credit Section of this website.

Delaware law allows out-of-state vehicle owners a credit on a sales tax, transfer tax or some similar levy paid to another state on the purchase of a vehicle within 90 days prior to registering the vehicle in Delaware. The vehicle must have been titled/registered in the other state within 90 days prior to registering the vehicle in Delaware. The 90-day rule is strictly enforced.

Delaware residents who purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer will not receive credit for any taxes paid. The majority of states exempt out-of-state buyers from their taxes but some states collect taxes on all vehicle sales. Residents need to be aware that they may be taxed twice on vehicles purchased from some states.

Q. When must I report an accident?

A: The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident shall immediately report such accident to the police agency which has primary jurisdictional responsibility for the location in which the accident occurred:

  1. When the accident results in injury or death to any person;
  2. When the accident occurs on a public highway, and it results in property damage to an apparent extent of $500 or more;
  3. When it appears that an accident involves a driver whose physical ability has been impaired as a result of alcohol or drug use.

Accident forms are available from most insurance agents and Delaware Driver's Manual This link opens a PDF File

Q. Can I register to vote when getting a license or ID card?

A: As a result of the enactment of the National Voter Rights Act of 1993, any U.S. citizen residing in the State of Delaware, who meets the eligibility requirements, is afforded the opportunity to register to vote while obtaining or renewing a driver's license. You may register if you are a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident of the State of Delaware, at least 18 years old by the date of the next General Election, and be mentally competent. Ex-felons may register to vote if they meet the requirements as specified by law according to 15, Del. C Chapter 61. . Part of the registration process involves selecting a political party of your choice. Options include the two majority parties, numerous minority parties or, if you do not wish to be affiliated with any political party, you may register as an Independent by choosing "Unaffiliated" or "No Party" from the selection. Only members of a majority party (Democrats and Republicans) are eligible to vote in primary elections in the State of Delaware. In approximately one month, you will receive a polling card from your respective county elections office. This card confirms your registration and provides the name and address of the location where you will cast your vote on election day. If you have any questions or concerns, call the elections office nearest you. Thank you!

Office of the State Election Commissioner
905 S Governors Ave Ste 170
Dover DE 19904

Department of Elections County Offices

New Castle County
820 N. French St., Ste 400
Wilmington, DE 19801
Kent County
100 Enterprise Pl, Ste 5
Dover, DE 19904
Sussex County
119 N. Race St.
Georgetown, DE 19947

We can no longer register someone to vote if that is their only reason for coming into DMV.

Q. How can I get a copy of my driving record?

A: A copy of a driving record can be requested in person, online or by mail.

In Person: A copy of your driving record can be purchased in person at any Division of Motor Vehicles office. The cost is for a 3-year, 5-year or full record.

Online*: A copy of your driving record can be purchased through your MyDMV account on the DMV website ( using a major credit or debit card. If the customer does not have a MyDMV account, one can be created to perform any available online services.

By mail: If you want to obtain a copy of your driving record by mail you must:

  1. Complete the Personal Information Release Form
  2. Have the form notarized with a seal or stamp (or present in person at one of our offices)
  3. Pay fee for a 3 year record
  4. We recommend you include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to reduce processing time
  5. Mail the check and form to:
Division of Motor Vehicles
ATTN.: Driver License Administration
P.O. Box 698
Dover, DE 19903

Please note that the request will not be processed if the form is not filled out completely.

*Online driving record requests cannot be processed for CDL medical certification requirements.

Q. How much liability insurance must I have?

A: The first step in obtaining a Delaware vehicle title/registration is to establish your (the owner's) financial responsibility. This is done by purchasing a liability insurance policy from a company licensed by the Insurance Commissioner to operate in Delaware. The minimum coverage is:

  • for bodily injury or death of one person in any one accident.
  • for bodily injury or death of two or more persons in any one accident.
  • for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one accident.

The Division requires verification that the car to be registered is properly insured. One of the following documents is acceptable:

  • A Delaware Insurance Identification Card - All insurance companies are required to issue such cards. The card must be carried in the vehicle at all times and include the period of coverage and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners(NAIC) company identification number (NAIC code).
  • A valid insurance policy.
  • A written binder within 30 days of issue from an insurance company or agent on the insurance company's letterhead.

The penalty for operating an uninsured vehicle is a fine not less than $1,500 nor more than $2,000 and mandatory suspension of driver's license and/or driving privileges for 6 months. For each subsequent offense occurring within 3 years of a former offense, the fine shall be not less than $3,000 nor more than $4,000.

Providing false proof of insurance will result in an additional fine of $500 and/or 30 days in jail and suspension of driver's license for 6 months.

The Insurance ID Card presented must be valid or it will not be accepted.

Insurance Cards expire every six months and therefore need to be reissued every six months. Insurance companies are required to issue a new ID card every six months.

Owners with valid and current license plates, cancelling insurance for any reason must surrender their valid license plate to the division. Failure to surrender your license plates prior to insurance cancellation will result in fines.

The Division of Motor Vehicles randomly audits for proof of insurance on active registrations. The penalty for being uninsured is for 1-30 days and an additional per day until insurance is obtained, tags are surrendered, or the registration expires. In addition, suspensions are imposed on the registration and on the driver's license of all owners who fail to respond to the request. Once suspended, reinstatement fees are for driver's license and per registration.